Friday, December 26, 2008

The First Post

 To clear things up, the current header picture is not a picture of MSU's campus, as may be expected. It is a picture that I took on a study abroad in Ireland, in Killarney National Park. I figured it works because it's mostly green, my school's official color. It's temporary. Here is a pretty picture that I took on campus, but that didn't work as a header because of its orientation and colors:

I took it in the fall of 2007, near Beaumont Tower.

Moving on. What's the point of this blog?

Well, I have a number of reasons for wanting to write a blog, including the many things that I hope to accomplish with it. My goals are always far too lofty and all-encompassing, so I'm sure they will be tamed down once I get the hang of this. However, here are some of my reasons/goals for this blog:

  1. Start a discussion on less well-known campus news, stories, events, etc. The types of things not covered in The State News. More along the lines of pieces featured in The Big Green, but updated more often. This could include the following: social commentary, injustices at MSU, advice for freshman, nightlife, academics, the sports scene, etc.
  2. Stemming from the above: old-fashioned journalism is boring and newspapers are dying. Blogs are the place to be. Plus, I find the word "journalism" to be restricting.
  3. As one of my mentors at MSU told me, my problem is not that I'm not interested in anything, it's that I'm interested in everything. My curiosity is never-ending. So I will write about things that interest me. To this end, I'm excited by the possiblity of learning from the interactive community of the blogosphere.
  4. I am inspired by people who are doing something meaningful with their lives, and those who are passionate. About anything. I am hoping to use my good fortune of being part of a huge university to profile some of those people, so that you can be inspired by them as well. So many people are doing such incredible things and we could all benefit from their stories.
  5. I like to make lists and keep track of my thoughts. What better way than this?
  6. MSU is a great place to be and not enough people know about all the cool things that happen on campus and in the East Lansing area.

I am open to suggestions for stories and am excited to get your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment